Watch what you say
Sellers can easily find themselves in litigation.
Many states have mandatory disclosure requirements when selling a horse.
- Do you know your state laws and disclosure requirements?
- What if the buyer responding to your ad if not from your state?
Our advice: Be honest and upfront about any issues you know of, or suspect.
- The buyer can make up his or her own mind about whether or not something is a big deal (e.g., the horse has vices, or needs individual turn out, or not suitable for an amateur beginner.
- Your challenge will be how and when to disclose this vital information in a way that won’t kill a viable sale?
- Can you strike the right balance between babbling everything that comes to mind and telling a prospect nothing of value and leaving them to figure it out at the time of a test ride?